The following is a list of reading material that is recommended by Dr. Michelle Matusoff, licensed clinical psychologist in Newport Beach, Orange County, CA.
- The Blessing of a Skinned Knee by Wendy Mogel, Ph.D.
- The Blessing of a B Minus by Wendy Mogel, Ph.D.
- Incredible Years: A Troubleshooting Guide for Parents of Children Aged 3 to 8 by Carolyn Webster-Stratton
- Last Child in the Woods, Saving our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv
- The Price of Privilege by Madeline Levine
- Ready or Not, Here Life Comes by Mel Levine, M.D.
- Superparenting for ADD: An Innovative Approach to Parenting Your Distracted Child by Edward Hollowell, M.D.
- Taking Charge of Your Child’s Sleep by Judith Owens, MD
- How to Raise a Drug-Free Kid: The Straight Dope for Parents by Joseph Califano Jr.
- Parenting Your Out-of-Control Teenager: 7 Steps to Reestablish Authority and Reclaim Love by Scott P. Sellsby
- Talk to Me First: Everything You Need to Know to Become Your Kids’ Go-To Person about Sex by Deborah Roffman
- Smart but Scattered by Peg Dawson
- Parenting the Strong-Willed Child by Rex Forehand
- The Talk: What Your Kids Need to Hear From You About Sex by Sharon Maxwell, Ph.D
- Giftedness 101 by Linda Silverman, Ph.D
- Living with Intensity: Understanding the Sensitivity, Excitability, and Emotional Development of Gifted Children, Adolescents, and Adults by Susan Daniels and Michael Piechowski
- A Mind at a Time by Mel Levine, M.D.
- Its So Much Work to Be Your Friend by Richard Lavoie
- Many Ways to Learn: A Young People’s Guide to Learning Disabilities by Judith Stern
- Life After High School – A Guide for Students with Disabilities and Their Families by Susan Yellin
- The K&W Guide to Colleges for Students with Learning Disabilities or ADHD by Marybeth Kravets and Imy Wax
- Thinking Differently, An Inspiring Guide for Parents of Children with Learning Disabilities by David Flink
- Organizational Skills Training for Children with ADHD: An Empirically Supported Treatment by Richard Gallagher PhD, Howard Abikoff PhD, Elana Spira PhD
CHILDREN’S MENTAL HEALTH
- You and Your Anxious Child by Anne Marie Albano
- It’s Nobody’s Fault by Harold Koplewicz, M.D.
- The Mislabeled Child by Brock Eide, M.D. and Fernette Eide, M.D.
- Your Defiant Child by Russell Barclay
- Freeing Your Child From Anxiety by Tamar Chansky, Ph.D.
- Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with Sensory Processing Issues by Lindsay Biel, Nancy Peske
- Treating Self-Injury: A Practical Guide by Barent Walsh, Ph.D.
- Talking Back to OCD by John March
- But He Never Hit Me: The Devastating Cost of Non-Physical Abuse to Girls and Women by Jill Murray, Ph.D.
- A Parent’s Guide to High-Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder, Second Edition: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive by Sally Ozonoff PhD
- The Hair Pulling “Habit” and You: How to Solve the Trichotillomania Puzzle, Revised Edition by Ruth Goldfinger Golomb
- A Parent Guide to Hair Pulling Disorder: Effective Parenting Strategies for Children with Trichotillomania by Suzanne Mouton-Odum PhD, Ruth Goldfinger Golomb LCPC
- An Early Start for Your Child with Autism by Rogers, Dawson and Vismara
- The Science of Making Friends: Helping Socially Challenged Teens and Young Adults by Elizabeth Laugeson, Psy.D.
- All Dogs have ADHD by Kathy Hoopmann
- Jumpin’ Johnny Get Back to Work! A Child’s Guide to ADHD
- [email protected] School by Kathleen Nadeau, Ph.D.
- All Kinds of Minds: A Young Student’s Book About Learning Abilities and Learning Disorders by Mel Levine, MD
- A Boy and Bear: The Children’s Relaxation Book by Lori Lite
- What to Do When Bad Habits Take Hold: A Kid’s Guide to Overcoming Nail Biting and More (What to Do Guides for Kids) by Dawn Heubner, Ph.D.
- What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid’s Guide to Overcoming Anxiety (What to Do Guides for Kids) by Dawn Heubner, Ph.D.
- Up and Down the Worry Hill: A Children’s Book about Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder by Aureen Wagner
- Tutor in a Book by Alexandra Mayzler and Ana McGann (tips for organization, time management, and study skills)
- The Care and Keeping of You: The Body Book for Younger Girls by Valorie Schaefer (8 and older)
- The Care and Keeping of You 2: The Body Book for Older Girls by Cara Natterson (10 and up)
- Different Like Me: My Book of Autism Heroes by Jennifer Elder
- The Survival Guide for Kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders and their Parents by Elizabeth Verdick, Elizabeth Reeve MD
- TMichael Rosen’s Sad Book (grief) by Michael Rosen
ADULT MENTAL HEALTH
- More Attention, Less Deficit: Success Strategies for Adults with ADHD by Ari Tuckman
- Fidget to Focus by Roland Roltz, Ph.D. and Sarah Wright, M.S.
- Back to Life- Getting Past Your Past with Resilience, Strength, and Optimism by Alicia Salzer, MD
- Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World by Sharon Heller, Ph.D.
- Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger’s by John Elder Robison
- Be Different: Adventures of a Free-Range Aspergian with Practical Advice for Aspergians, Misfits, Families & Teachers by John Elder Robison
- Nutrition: What Every Parent Needs to Know by William Dietz, M.D., Ph.D. and Lorraine Stern, M.D.
- Pandora’s Lunchbox: How Processed Food Took Over the American Meal by Melanie Warner
- Read it Before You Eat it by Bonnie Taub-Dix
- The Divvies Bakery Cookbook: No Nuts. No Eggs. No Dairy. Just Delicious! by Lori Sandler